Friday, April 2, 2010

Even that was nailed to the Cross


I've been experiencing a lot of deep emotions lately. Everything going on in our society right now seems to have an affect on me. I am more aware of the political division in our country now more than ever, and the tension that it has caused has an affect on me. One thing that particularly gets to me, is that our division over political issues has turned into a division over religious issues. By some, the Gates of Heaven will surely be closed to me because I don't want the government telling a woman what to do with her body, I don't particularly care for the government to tell people who should marry and I really don't want the government going to countries and killing innocent people in the name of a "war on terrorism".

I've always thought that we could better support our communities by getting to the root of any social issue versus radically opposing it. Wouldn't it make more sense to spend our time working with teen girls, spending time with women from different walks of life, in order to be the salt of the world, versus standing in front of Planned Parenthood with signs calling women baby killers? At that point, I think it is too late.

Whether you agree with my political views or not, and whether you think because of my political views I'm not the "real kind" of Christian you think I should be, there is one thing I know for sure on this Good Friday. When Jesus hung on that cross, He took:

  • abortion there with Him too. So instead of condemning those who are pro-choice, I choose to see it from Jesus' eyes - forgiven.
  • same-sex marriage. So instead of condemning those who believe in same-sex marriage, I choose to see it from Jesus' eyes - forgiven.
And any other political issues that we as a Christian society want to condemn as being sinful - Jesus took it all to the Cross with Him. So instead of judging others for what you consider the most damning sins - remember a sin is a sin, and Jesus already said - FORGIVEN.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you. I'm looking forward to reading your posts again. (tapping pen...patiently waiting for Lisa to start writing again).

    ReplyDelete